Colorful, motivational signs have been installed in some stairs at CHI St. Vincent Infirmary and Hot Springs to encourage taking the stairs.
One says “Taking the stairs is free, convenient, low-impact, saves energy, gives energy, lowers risk of disease, burns calories, isn’t just for emergencies.”
Benefits of taking the stairs include:
- Just two minutes of climbing stairs a day can keep off the pesky two pounds that most adults gain in a year
- According to a study done at Harvard University, if you can fit in eight flights of stairs a day, you could reduce your death rate by 32%.
- Taking the stairs is often faster than waiting for an elevator during peak usage times. Try it yourself and time your trip. Often for trips of seven floors or less, the stairs are the quickest way to your destination.
- Even two flights of stairs climbed per day can lead to six pounds of weight loss over one year.
- Climbing stairs can improve the amount of “good cholesterol” in the blood and will also help lower the LDL cholesterol level (the “bad” cholesterol).